Lasagna is a type of pasta, possibly one of the oldest types, made of very wide, flat sheets. Either term can also refer to an Italian dish made of stacked layers of lasagna alternating with fillings such as ragù (ground meats and tomato sauce), vegetables, cheeses (which may include ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan), and seasonings and spices, like Italian seasoning, such as garlic, oregano and basil.
The dish may be topped with grated cheese, which becomes melted after baking.
Typically cooked pasta is assembled with the other ingredients and then baked in an oven. The resulting baked pasta is cut into single-serving square portions.
Why do people like Lasagne
Lasagna is filling, relatively easy to assemble and make, highly adaptable and keeps well, making it an intriguing choice for restaurant chefs creating menus and home cooks alike. Let’s look at some variations of this dish, from the most classic versions emphasizing red sauce and meat to a number of other interpretations.
The bechamel sauce adds a rich, creamy flavor that can help balance and blend the other tastes involved. Finally, the use of traditional lasagna noodles – you’ll have to boil, then bake – helps the dish stay saucy and moist, as the no-boil variation can easily soak up too much of the sauce and lead to a less-exciting meal. Especially important for preparation in restaurant kitchens is the ability to cook the sauce and assemble the dish ahead of time, then store it frozen for up to a month before thawing overnight then baking as usual.
Gary’s - top Italian restaurant in SingaporeLooking for a top Italian restaurant in Singapore for a memorable dining experience? Visit Gary’s and be seduced by the exquisite menu our award-winning chef has conjured up for a multisensory culinary sensation you won’t forget.
Ingredients that go into Lasagne
- 12 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) package cottage cheese
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 4 ½ cups tomato-basil pasta sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
How to cook Lasagne
- Start by making the sauce with ground beef, bell peppers, onions, and a combo of tomato sauce, tomato paste, and crushed tomatoes. The three kinds of tomatoes gives the sauce great depth of flavor.
- Let this simmer while you boil the noodles and get the cheeses ready. We’re using ricotta, shredded mozzarella, and parmesan — like the mix of tomatoes, this 3-cheese blend gives the lasagna great flavor!
- From there, it’s just an assembly job. A cup of meat sauce, a layer of noodles, more sauce, followed by a layer of cheese. Repeat until you have three layers and have used up all the ingredients.
- Bake until bubbly and you’re ready to eat!
What can Lasagne be served together with
- Tomato Feta Salad.
- Green Salad.
- Wedge Salad.
- Chicken Wings.
- Roasted Veggies.
- Roasted Tomatoes.
Other popular Italian food
Besides Lasagne, there are other Italian food dishes that are highly popular in Singapore and around the world. Below is a list of some of the most mentioned ones:
- Bagna Cauda
- Fritto misto piemontese
- Gelato (Ice cream)
- I formaggi ( the Cheeses)
- Il Tartufo (The Truffle)
- Olive Ascolante (Ascoli olives)
- Panzerotto fritto (Fried Panzerotto)
- Pesto Alla Genovese
- Prosciutto di Parma (Parma Ham)
- Sardine in Saor
- Tortelli and Ravioli